Tuesday, March 17, 2009

kentucky quatorze 3/17/09

1. Quality Road
I picked him in the FOY, and now he moves right back up to the top. Bet him in the Florida Derby- I have a feeling that he will be the Derby favorite afterward.
2. Charitable Man
After six works, the usually conservative McLaughlin is thinking Blue Grass. This colt was screaming for two turns as a juvenile, so the jump will be no problem. Watch out for him, he was my original #1.
3. Theregoesjojo
Most exciting kick of any horse.
4. I Want Revenge
So impressive that he may scare everyone away from the Wood. He’s fast, explosive, and has that wonderful low-head action of his sire and grandsire.
5. The Pamplemousse
Looked impressive, and simply needs to do the same on dirt.
6. Hello Broadway
He ran up charging on the outside only to spin his wheels. I hold out hope that he’s as brilliant as he seems. He will be incredibly tough in the Wood/Ark Derby.
7. Flying Pegasus
Talented and improving. Throw out his dirt excursion- his sire hated the wet. He was bound to bounce a bit after a brilliant comeback. Watch out next time. Will probably wind up in the Wood, or wait a week for the Arkansas Derby. I doubt they’ll try him on synthetic this late in the game.
8. Friesan Fire
Keeps improving. My only worry is over-racing. He is definitely a slop-lover, but his race made me think that he is possibly peaking too early.
9. Old Fashioned
Once again looked less like the brilliant closing quarter of the Remsen (after a :50 half, mind you). Despite this, we should see him at near peak in the next- then we’ll know what we’re dealing with.
10. General Quarters
Love that he lost- now he’s a wonderfully overlooked horse. His race 2 back was impressive enough to keep this position.
11. Take the Points
Loved his race in the Sham. Earned my respect. Would like to see him taken to the Illinois Derby and win easily, or earn his keep in the Wood.
12. Dunkirk
A bit of a loper, but full of natural talent. Still, he has to show a quick turn of foot and a devastating win vs. extremely talented colts in the Florida Derby.
13. Imperial Council
Needless to say, he is the epitome of dangerous in the Wood.
14. Break Water Edison
We have yet to hear what went wrong. I still think the world of him, and I refuse to accept his last two. I think he hated the raceday track. I think he hated the blinkers, and I think he got crap rides in both races. Take him back up to the Wood Memorial and let him run on a surface he loves.

No comments:

Adolphson Thoroughbred Consulting

Washington, D.C.

MHAdolphson@Gmail.com
www.AdolphsonTC.com
202.716.7046